Monday, May 7, 2012

You are what you eat.

Finally! Progress! A few months ago my wife bought this fancy scale that measures weight, fat, muscle mass, water, and bone mass. So I reluctantly got on it on March 18th. On March 18th my stats were: Weight 288.6 lbs, Fat 37.2, Muscle Mass 37.9, Bone Mass 5.2, Water % 33.2. Today May 7th my stats were: Weight 279.4 lbs, Fat 35.1, Muscle 38.3, Bone mass 5.2, water % 35.3. What I am doing is working. It feels great. I have reduced processed foods, reduced grains, and reduced sugar. I have increased my protein. Good quality protein. Reduced the bad carbs. I usually stay around 2000 calories. My wife was worried I was gonna lose muscle when I was only doing 1500 calories a day. But the protein kept that in check. Even though I knew I was feeling better I had an experience this weekend that really defines the phrase "you are what you eat". This week I got home on Thursday afternoon. Friday the kids' school had a spring carnival. This meant dinner was what the school had in concessions. Hot dogs, chips, and soda. I feared relapse but I kept portions down and wasn't unreasonable. Saturday was spent playing spectator and support for my wife and kids at a martial arts tournament. This was also at a school and concessions were the same exact thing. I did mange to sneak in some catfish and V8 but the rest of the day I ate terribly. Not portion wise but just in food choices. We were there for 9 hours. Then dinner at home was frozen pizza and a grape soda. Again I kept portions in check but still. This is vile food. Sunday Morning I got up and felt like someone had beat me up. Almost hung over feeling. I couldn't believe the difference I felt. My mood sunday was lousy. My temper was in full swing. You truly are what you eat. So if you are reading this and you are in a bad mood, feel sick and tired, or just lousy. Look at what you ate today. That's where the answer is hidden.

No comments: