Saturday, March 19, 2011

Change is in the air....

When I first decided to become a truckdriver I had a plan. The plan was to do Over The Road - OTR for two years and then look for something local. Well it has been close to three years and a change is needed.

Now trucking is a love/hate relationship for me. There are many aspects of trucking I do like. When I am moving and I know what my next load is I like this job. When I can run close to 3000 miles a week and still make it home for the weekend, I love this job. My Dad's last driving job was for a private carrier. He had a dedicated route that was warehouse to warehouse, drop and hook, and he had three different routes he could go. All three were good miles and he left on Sunday afternoon and was home Thursday morning. No sitting. no waiting for the next load. He knew what needed to be done and was able to do it. It wasn't like that his whole career but he did his time in the trenches and earned that particular situation.

So I am looking for either something similar or a day cab job where I am home every night.

I have learned a lot about life and about myself out here. In many ways I was born to do this work. It comes natural to me. BUT I also miss my family. I miss playing music. I miss having a social life. My family needs me home and I need to be home. So my days out here are numbered. Within this year I will be doing something different. Either a dedicated regional run or something where I am home every night. I will keep everyone posted.

No comments: