Saturday, March 19, 2011

Long cold winter

Well again I start another blog post with the statement of "sorry I haven't blogged in awhile" but a lot of things were going on. A lot of inner struggles and inner victories were going on. Things are starting to get back on track. It seemed like I hit a harsh winter both in the world and in my life. But Spring is here and is bringing about growth and change. Details. Not now.

One thing I can share is I started to be a driver trainer. I know some of you might think "Why/how would a driver who has driven a truck for only three years become a trainer?" I am just training drivers who need one or two week refresher training. Basically someone who has driving experience but not RECENT experience.

It all started one day when our safety director approached me for being a trainer. She said that I would be good because of my skills in using the qualcomm and electronic logs. I am good at trip planning and time management. So I agreed to try it.

So a couple of weeks ago I trained a driver who had 10 years of daycab experience and maybe 4 years of some OTR but he had never been east of Colorado. His OTR was regional and was years ago. Most of his experience was with 45 and 48 foot trailers so he needed some help setting up to back but other than that this guy was a better driver than me. BUT he had no experience with the Electronic side of this job and we spent two weeks doing just that. Overall this guy was cool and easy to work with. But it was nice to get my truck back to myself.

I guess I did ok because I have another possible trainee who is gonna run one week with me.

In other news I am gonna be recieving a new truck soon. I will be losing my Volvo and will be getting a brand new Kenworth T660. This will be a major change because I have never driven a KW. For the three years I have been driving two and half of that has been with a Volvo. I know a KW handles different, steers different, and there will be WAY less room so it will be a new experience for me. The cool part is the truck will be brand spanking new and will be similar to what my dad use to drive.

I am not sure if my exercise bike will fit but if not I think I will seriously look into bringing a real bike with me and mounting it on the back. I would almost rather do that anyways.

I have other news but this will just have to do for now. I don't want to post a lot of long boring post. Of course this might be too late.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Glad to see you posting!! Dont knock the long boring posts or I will have to delete my whole blog.