Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Finally some action!

Well here goes an update. Last week my band had it's first show this year, and the second show since I have been a trucker. It looked grim as I thought I wouldn't make it.

You see I hadn't seen the house for almost three weeks due to being stuck places on the weekend due to slow freight. I spent Easter in Minooka, IL at the Pilot. I spent the next weekend in Higginsville, MO under a load to Lee's Summitt. I finally get a load to the west after spending a couple of weeks east. Anyone who knows me I prefer running Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and I don't mind our Leeds, Alabama and Macon, Georgia runs either. But I get a load from KS to TX and then got a paper load out of Forney, TX to Springfield. Why is this important? Because I had asked off for April 25th for our show. The closer I was to Sprngfield the easier it would be to deadhead home. The downside was it was only tuesday when I got back to sleeping in my bed. I knew I was gonna be sent out again but nothing too far from Springfield right? My next load took me to Springfield alright, Springfield, OH. After sleeping in my bed tuesday night I get back to work wednesday and drive almost to the reciever. It was a place I have been to and I knew there was no overnight parking. This created a dilemma. There was only one truckstop listed in Springfield, OH and it said paid parking only. I decided on a rest area 60 miles from Springfield and I would have to drive the rest in the morning. This means my 14 hour clock will be ticking when I get unloaded and they are trying to find freight for me. As I am sitting at the dock I inquired about this mystery truckstop in Springfield. No one had a good answer so after being unloaded I checked it out. Good news, it wasn't paid parking and there was plenty of room. Bad news, this placed sucked bigtime. The bathrooms barely worked, the food part of the establishment was horrible and this place wasn't 24 hours either.

But it was thursday morning. Surely they can find something to get me back to the house right? So I walked, cleaned my wheels, messed around on my laptop but not too much due to no internet, napped, and waited. Nothing. About 5:30 I was told to hang it up and that dispatch would try again in the morning. Well hopefully this place is pretty safe. There was about 20 trucks here some being left for the night by the locals that were home so that was a good sign. Well about ten pm the store closes and within minutes I get approached by yes you got it lot lizards. One girl was behind the wheel of a minivan that had it's glory days behind it. Her friend was doing the footwork. Sure enough I hear a light tapping at my door. Me: "What do you want?" Chick: "Do you have a cigarette?" "No." I said. Then she says, "Well if you are alone my friend is looking to hang out with you." I replied, "No thanks." and off they went. I guess I was below the standard of the smoking lizard that she was gonna pawn me off to her friend driving. I guess she doesn't like scummy long-haired trucking metalheads. Oh well. I guess it's to my benefit.

Friday morning arrives. I am officially worried and restless. Finally about noon I get my assignment. Versailles, KY to Jefferson City, MO drop and hook. Then I could deadhead home. Woohoo! I barely make it in saturday in time for a rehearsal and loading the gear. Whew!

All in all it had been an interesting week. I got to plug our show on Satellite radio and that was fun. I got to see some friends and made some new ones on the internet. Apnea had a good show despite our lack of practice. Right now I am sitting in Little Rock, AR where some friends of mine and I are gonna get dinner. I deliver at 5am and I hope I am not sitting all day.

Interesting side note. I have only been approached by lot lizards four times. Once in Orangeburg, SC and the other three in Springfield, OH, Springfield, IL, and Springfield, MO. Hmm....

No comments: