Friday, July 12, 2013

Going Back To Cali

So after five years I finally get a run going to California. Only two states I haven't been in with Transland. One California, two Nevada. Don't get me wrong I have been there plenty of times riding with Dad, hell I was born in Oceanside but I haven't driven there.This was an easy dunnage load with a reload coming straight back to Springfield, MO. So I leave Friday AM giddy as a kid. I barely get ten miles out and BOOM! I blow a trailer tire. I pull into Hoods at exit 69 and managed to get rolling within the hour. Friday night I make it to Amarillo where I enjoyed a steak at the Big Texan. (No I did not try the 72 oz steak!) The last time I was at the restaurant was with my Dad. After dinner I went to bed. Saturday I drove to Winslow, AZ where I found the Walmart I knew had an abandoned truck stop right next to it. I did my shopping and I tried to decide if I wanted to spend the night there. Giving the amount of panhandlers and homeless I figured I wouldn't rest well so I moved down about 20 miles and stayed at a rest area. After the light rain storm I climbed the rocks, took pics of my beloved desert. I LOVE IT OUT WEST! Sunday would be the exciting day. I haven't been on I40 West of Flagstaff in over 25 years. I was in awe of the spectacle. I got to Barstow and stopped for the night. I had an open window Monday am and I knew I couldn't sleep at customer, Barstow was a safe bet. Monday AM approached I left in a good time and took a route to Santa Ana hoping for little delay as possible. But still managed to to brush rush hour and it took 2 hours 45 minutes to go 119 miles. I have to say NOTHING looked familiar. Absolutely nothing. I got into town made my delivery and pick up and headed out. I was hoping for a trip down memory lane but I recognized absolutely nothing. Oh well. it was a fun easy run. I got to as far as Big Cabin on Wednesday when my second tire blew out. All in all I enjoyed it. I love running west. I love the scenery, the roads, and there is less people. Now excuse me while I open a cold one and enjoy my home time.

No comments: