Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Early Bird Gets The Worm PT II

As soon as I got to Macon I had a load going from Macon to Olive Branch, MS that was due Monday morning. I was watching my hours and made it to Olive Branch no problem. I pulled into the Flying J and found that all the spaces were full (despite it being only 4pm) and half of them were bobtails. This irks me to no end. A bobtail only area would be nice. But I parked "creatively". The next morning I drove 4 miles to the customer. I had an 0800 appointment time. I got there at 0730. As I rolled in I noticed two other Transland trucks. I walk up to one and asked where to check in. He asks me if I was late for my 0700 and I informed him I was the 0800. The other driver points to the other Transland truck who has his curtains drawn and says he must be the 0700 then. I walked in the receiving area and was told since I was early I get drop and hook and the other guy being late would have to do a live unload. I dropped my trailer and hooked up to an empty.

My luck was in vain because it turns out I would wait for a load while he waited to be unloaded. When he was done I got my load assignment. I looked and he was hightailing out of there so he must have gotten one as well. I called on the CB to see where he was going but he didn't answer. Oh well. I started my trek towards Selmer,Tennessee. The good news was it was going to Moberly, MO which is inside my hours window and close enough to the house I could be dead headed home if needed. Home for Christmas!

So I get to Selmer and found the customer no thanks to my GPS. The residential street I traveled probably didn't like me. It takes a minute for me to find the door to this warehouse. When I do I was challenged to find a worker. Finally I located the right person (he was in a forklift pow wow) and he told me to back into door one. As I am leaving I meet up with the Transland driver that over slept. He was amazed that I beat him there even though he had a 15 minute head start.

I start backing into the door and found the other Transland driver telling me we were both sent the same load by accident. Great. Maybe we can split it. Nope, this load had only 9 pallets. We both waited for an hour to see what the overlords would decide. Since I was first I got the load. Yay me. I drive to Moberly and hit the bunk.

The next morning I found myself going to Quincy, IL to pick up going to Springfield, MO. I had just enough time to pick it up and make it to Kingdom City, MO. I rolled into Springfield today and shut down with only 30 minutes to spare and now my weekend starts. Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: