Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Early Bird Gets The Worm part I

Since my dispatcher got me home for December 5th I told him I would run until the week of Christmas and that I want in on wednesday the 23rd. He definitely utilized that and have been running against my 70 hours this week. So the trick now was on Monday the 21st to be within a days drive with no chance of being stranded due to weather.

I pull into the yard on friday and had a choice. One load going to Mechanicsburg, PA. One load going to New Jersey (a double stop load too). Or a load going to Macon, GA.

Now since the introduction of The Weather Channel I am religious on checking the weather. Even more so since I got a CDL. I can't tell you how many times I came to a place having a jacket on hand in warm weather knowing the cold would be there by the time I left. Here in Missouri I have seen it go from 80 degrees to below freezing in 24 hours. Why is this important?

Well I don't want to get stranded somewhere due to weather and miss Christmas at home so I have been paying attention to the weather. I knew about a heavy band of snow that was gonna hit the north east. So I turned down the PA load. The Jersey load wasn't even a consideration (even during good weather). Macon was my choice. Sure enough halfway down there I here reports of I77 shut down, the whole area seeing up to 20 inches or better. So I dodged that bullet.

No comments: