Saturday, October 10, 2009

News: I44 competes with NASCAR on the amount of wrecks in a day.

Well after leaving PA I got a load that went to Joliet, IL. After that a load that went from South Bend, IN to Springfield, MO. I got as far as a rest area in Illinois and hit the bunk. I awoke to rain.

This is where the fun starts. As soon as I hit I44 it was like an ice storm hit. The only problem is that it was at least 65 degrees. Every ten miles there was at least a spin off or a small fender bender. I am not exaggerating. Even as bad as drivers can be here in the show-me state it was far more than the average I see on a typical rainstorm. I was on the phone with my wife telling her about all this when I got word that westbound I44 was closed at mile marker 107. So I led a convoy of trucks through the side roads to Marshfield. Then I heard Springfield had accidents on I44 but were cleaned up. Luckily I got through but I did see a lady sobbing, sitting in her car. She had just spun out and narrowly missed the center wire thingie. She was ok. I unloaded by the airport and then headed back to the yard. That's when I saw eastbound was at a stop because of an 18 wheeler in the median. So I took the city way into the yard.

This trip took an extra two hours off my e-log clock because of these accidents. Then I get a load going back towards chicago. Ugh. Eastbound I44 was just as riddled with accidents. the grand finale was just before the I255 loop a big truck went off an embankment and into the service road. It looked brutal and I hope that the driver is ok. Combine the extra time because of these incidents pluc Chicago driving I ran out my 70 two hours from home. So now I sit until midnight so I can be home.

That reminds me. When is the next Talledega race?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy hell that's nuts. People really need to get their shit together when they're driving.

Unknown said...

Hey I heard your call to freewheelin' yesterday! Very cool

gabby