Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Attack of the Robot Forklifts!

I took two days vacation. One over Labor Day and the following day. I worked my butt off Monday cleaning out the garage and Tuesday went to the dump to get rid of the crap. Wednesday I found myself hooking to a trailer in the rain that goes to Macon, GA.

This means that my next load will either go from Atlanta to Oklahoma, or a return load back to Springfield, or a load going NE to either Auburn, NY or Foxboro, MA. After the last episode at Foxboro I didn't expect to be sent there. My prediction was right. I was sent to Auburn, NY which is good for several reasons. Easy in and out, I can spend the night there without being harassed by security, it's at a mall so I can kill time, and I have a sister that lives just 25 miles away. That meant if I was stuck with no load for the weekend I can hang out at her house and see a town I did some growing up in.

Friday Morning I get a nice fresh shower and got the news that I was to actually pick up a load on a Saturday. I had a pick up after my saturday morning delivery. So much for family, oh well. Friday night I dodge a few cars in the parking lot and docked. That was the last good thing for awhile.

Saturday AM I awake to a knock at 04:30. I pulled up to open the doors and now I need to slide the tandems. (trailer wheels) I fight, beat, pound, rock, yank, and pulled and nothing. I sprayed the tracks, pins,and myself accidently with WD40 and still nothing. The culprit, a bolt was out that goes from the lever to the pin which meant only three pins go in. After a half an hour the store manager says they can deal with the tandems where they were. I bumped dock and at 5 am (which is 4am MO time), then I was underneath the trailer playing MacGyver. My next load was going to be beer and I definitely needed to slide the wheels for that. After an hour I was done and I had ruined the recent shower. Another hour passes and I am off to Baldwinsville, NY to pick up a load of beer.

Sure enough I pull up and I have to slide the tandems before I can even enter the plant. I go to slide the wheels and nothing. Well I didn't do a good job fixing the trailer and now I am in everyone's way and I could possibly lose this load. I turn around and thanks to a helpful driver I got them slid back so I can at least enter the plant. I get scaled and was told horrible directions on where to stage when I go to the shipping office. I park in a "guess" spot and go to an empty shipping office. Me and two others sat there waiting for someone and then I saw something I have never seen before. This place had unmanned automatic robot forklifts that were loading the trucks. Freaky because in all the activity that was going on not one human being could be seen to flag down to get a door assignment. After 30 minutes I get a door and I start a more permanent solution to my trailer. Another hour passes and I get it fixed. I luck out and this place gives you axle weights as you leave. Sweet. On the second attempt I get the wheels where I need them. Weary and dirty I head down the road.

Next problem I was feeling ill and had to stop at every travel plaza for the next 100 miles. Luckily I have plenty of time to deliver. It's due in San Antonio, TX thursday. Of course I am already here putting in a 34 reset. Say Hi if you see me here.

2 comments:

Pam Silliman said...

Wow Steve, COOL!!! Mom just sent me this link to your blog and I just LOVE reading your stories!! You are quite the writer!! Anyway....trips to NY??? Visits???? Would LOVE to have some!! Your ever-loving sis, Pam

doomytunes said...

Dang Pam this post is old. Facebook is a great way to keep track of us family types. We lost the Bass Pro account so I havent been to NY in forever.