Saturday, July 11, 2009

Blue light Special.

Thursday morning I am awakened by my "dispatcher". I was offered a drop an hook in Tyler, TX and a preplanned to get me home by Saturday. So I didn't have to take vacation time, I get a few more miles, and I get a weekend off at the house, and it's a gravy run to boot. I knew my company would deliver...ha pun intended. I know that was bad..sue me.

The bad part was I couldn't leave out until about three pm but that gave me a chance to go grass slaughtering and displace the snakes and bugs that were quite happy with the tall lawn. But this also meant I was driving until about 2am. When I get to the yard I find myself going into Safety and getting handed stickers. Apparently I am doing well on the elogs and I am on it full time now. Safety puts my fancy stickers on the hood and I no longer have to keep track of both the QC and the paper logs. It's funny the looks I get when another driver sees those stickers.

So I find myself trucking down US 69 (huh huh) and I am ready to get on the Indian Nation turnpike in OK. I breeze through the Pike Pass lane as I have done many many times before and started on the dark stretch of highway when suddenly some flashing blue lights come up behind me. What the hell I wasn't speeding. The cop walks up to my door and tells me my pass didn't go off. I hand it to him and my license and takes about ten minutes. First I was relieved that I hadn't done anything wrong but now was a chance to test my elog with this guy. Of course he doesn't ask about my log book. He gave my stuff back to me, tells me my pass is good and sends me on my way. Hmm I can't tell you how many times I have been up and down those OK roads with my log book completely out of wack. I am sure that I wouldn't have been that lucky if I hadn't been legal. But it sure was nice knowing that I had nothing to worry about. The next morning I go to Ft. Worth with a beer load going to Springfield. Yay for weekends.

Next time I head out I am gonna have a co-driver. My son is coming with me. Ok he can't drive since he is a youngin but I will make him do the pretrips. HA.

No comments: