Friday, June 26, 2009

Ramblin' man and his electronic book.

Well I am having one of those good weeks where I see home base a couple of times but I still manage over three thousand miles for the week. The week started off in Texas, brought a load back to Springfield. Then I was sent to Pendergrass, GA. Next load was back to Springfield. And now I am returning to GA over to Macon where I hope (fingers crossed) I get a backhaul back to home. If not I risk doing a reset in GA where there is nothing for me to do. I have a guitar with me now so that may not be so bad.
I have some great video of me crossing a narrow shortcut via US60 between I57 and I24. Not sure what music I am gonna use. I am also doing some comp footage of Atlanta since the four wheelers tend to demonstrate repeatedly what not to do near a big rig. I will be using some brutal music for that.
Last week I bought a tripod that wraps around anything and I have the camera mounted on the handle near the door. I am gonna start getting creative with some outside shots.

Electronic logging is going ok. I am not bound by it yet so I still get my paper book to sketch in. After some confusion with the controls I think I have the jist of it. Remembering to change duty status when I stop is the worst part. Between the check calls and all the log stuff, plus my regular book it takes me forever to get rolling. I guess since our company has been using this system the DOT doesn't even bother us anymore. I have been getting green lights everywhere including the nasty Joplin scales. The only scale I had to pull in was one in KY where they had the prepass turned off. Once I am on the system full time I get these fancy stickers that say "electronic logs" put on my hood and it's like a get out of jail free card. Yay!

I will post more opinions, pros and cons about this in the next week or so. All I can say for now is "It's not that bad."
Well I have rambled enough. Time to go to macon to see where I end up for the weekend.

No comments: