Sunday, August 14, 2011

Doing Some Good

Just when I was gonna give up the Ghost I got a message on facebook. A guy who reads my blog as part as his research on starting a career in trucking said I had helped him and was starting at Transland. He is gonna finish his training with me. It makes me feel good that I can help others as I was helped when I did my research. So I guess I am gonna keep this blog around for awhile.

As far as my company goes things are doing well. I am driving a new truck, they made me a trainer, I was driver of the month for June, and it feels like they generally like me driving for them. I must be doing something right.

My current struggle is staying healthy on the road. So I am gonna start listing changes I am making to accomplish this. I have gained probably 50 pounds since I have become a truckdriver and it's starting to take it's toll.

I like it when I have a full weekend at home. It gives me time to prep food. Buying pre-cut fruit and veggies can be expensive. For example one can buy a quart size dish of watermelon for 3 to 4 dollars or for 5 you can buy a whole watermelon that will yield four more quarts.

Now I am researching food, health and wellness for drivers or people with sedentary jobs. Seems like this is virgin territory. There are a lot of bloggers who will tell you how to slide your tandems but not nearly the same amount who are talking about health.

I need to get moving as well. I used to have an exercise bike in my Volvo but the Kenworth doesn't have the room for it. Not that it really helped. It was hard staying motivated to ride the thing. Stationary bikes and treadmills just aren't very exhilarating. It was nice to have when the weather sucked though.

This week I have various colored bell peppers. I eat them like apples and don't require a fridge. I have watermelon cut up, yogurt, and I am trying some almond milk for my cereal. A good source of info I have found on Twitter. I follow @EatThisNotThat and I get some great info sent to my phone.

This is going to be my focus on this blog now. as of today I am flirting with 300 pounds and I am 6 foot even. Time for a change.

2 comments:

Paul Floege said...

If you focus on sharing about health on the road, I think this will be a great resource. It can be a challenge to find things that 'normal' people do that actually fit in with the trucking life. I'll be following your blog.

doomytunes said...

Thanks paul this will help keep me motivated.