Sunday, September 5, 2010

New jersey shuffle

With my week starting on Tuesday I knew I was a perfect candidate for running the weekend. Sure enough Friday I had a load going from Jefferson City to Jamesburg, NJ. An easy run made easier because my delivery wasn't until Tuesday morning. Four days to do a two day run. So I drove and took my sweet time.

Sunday am I arrive at a travel plaza on I95 and found ways to entertain myself.

Monday dispatch tells me my future. My next load was a two pick up load. First pick up was in Newark. Second one was in Clifton. It was to be delivered in Columbus, OH by Wednesday morning at 0600. So they expect me to unload, drive to newark get a load, drive in more NJ, get loaded some more and still pull off 587 miles on elogs? I am not that good. BUT I was gonna give it a shot. I get 4 days for a two day run and then I have to cram all of this in a 14 hour shift. Consistency I guess is overrated.

Tuesday by some miracle I get unloaded in 30 minutes. I drive 40 miles to Newark. By some miracle I95 was flowing good during morning rush hour. I get hand loaded ie no pallets within an hour. I only had 6 miles to my next pick up. I thought to my self I might pull this miracle out my butt after all.

The only snag was that my appointment was 1300 and it was only 1100. But the first place loaded me despite being early so maybe this place would be cool. Their office informs me I would not be started until 1300.

So I sat, and sat, and sat, and well you get the picture. 1400 I get a dock. 1800 pieces totaling 5000 lbs were being hand loaded onto the floor. This was gonna take awhile. 1600 I get loaded. BUT before I close the doors I noticed the boxes were stacked uneven and sloppy. It didn't fill the whole trailer so I knew these were gonna fall before I hit Ohio. I put my loadlock on for effect knowing it wasn't gonna help. Imagine stacking a stack of index cards unevenly on a table then use a rubber band while you tipped the table to stop them from falling.

Now I drudged through afternoon rush hour and I still had to fuel in Clinton, NJ which usually turns me into a monster. I would be lucky to pull off 200 miles today before my 14 was up.

Wednesday I determined I can make 1200 and the company made the necessary appointment changed. I was told to expect a four hour unload. But I had my next load lined up and I had until 2100 to get there. I arrive at the customer and after a snag about my appointment number I get a dock. I open the trailer and found the mess I predicted. About 10 minutes later I get called to their office. here's the conversation:

Me: Yes?
Them: Yeah we have a problem the load shifted, we are taking pictures and sending them to your company.
Me: yeah I figured that. It was loaded poorly,Not much i could have done.
Them: Oh we know but we can't unload you today because it's gonna take too long. So you will have to come back tomorrow at 0630.
Me: Can I leave the trailer here?
Them: your company says you can't.
Me: But the load will shift and fall even more if I move the trailer.
Them: Well make a phone call. We have no problem with you leaving it here.

So I make the call and convinced all parties that it was best for me to bobtail out of there. I go to a cramped Pilot and found it a lot easier to deal with not having a trailer. I get a much needed bike ride and shower.

My next load was pushed to be picked up Thursday which would put me in the yard Friday which works better for me being home this weekend. The weird part is I needed to be back at the customer at 630 just to take their time to unload me which is moronic because it starts my 14 hour clock instead of just telling me when I can pick up the trailer. Oh well.

The next morning I get to the customer and get a surprise. I am empty. Apparently they unloaded me yesterday after all. But my next shipper decided to take their sweet time putting me in Springfield friday at just the right time. now I get a full weekend for labor day.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Miracles are just about as difficult as monkeys, when it comes to pulling something out of your butt!! Just saying....