Sunday, November 8, 2009

Appreciation?

Terry's post on Roadrage kind of inspired this rant.

This week was National Trucker Appreciation Week. I was listening to the Lockridge report one day last week and the talk got on this subject. I know truckers gripe and whine about everything but I was surprised to hear drivers calling in complaining about the Appreciation Week. Some griped about how their companies are only doing free food on friday for drivers at the terminal. Some complained that the world was not doing enough to show appreciation. Some drivers thought that four wheelers not making stupid maneuvers around us would be thanks enough. But then a driver called in and mentioned that we need to be reminded that we are out here DOING A JOB. Jobs have their bad points and that most of what we deal with out here is PART OF THE JOB. In other words why complain even if the attempt to honor truckers is small but at least it's an effort.

Every now and then I get depressed or mad but no worse than when I was doing dead end factory work. When things get difficult I just say to myself this is what I signed up for. And I do have it pretty good compared to some drivers with other companies. I guess what I am saying is that it's hard sometimes to be positive in a negative world understandingly. But adding to the negative just gives it more power. I am on a quest to rid the trucking world of negativity. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Was it really Trucker App. Week? I thought that was just a YouTube thing..LOL...I never saw any appreciation going on anywhere or heard about it on the radio.Hmmmmm My company did nothing, well, they let me drive their truck every week and earn a paycheck, for which I am very Thankful, but everyone knows I love my JOB!!

See that is my biggest irritant. If it is an ongoing part of your job, why fuss? You should already expect it, and be prepared for it.

I seriously did not know it was Trucker Appreciation Week....for real!!