Sunday, September 20, 2009

Texas Slow Burn

After spending a 34 hour restart in the San Antonio, TX Petro I was ready to get the heck out of there. I arrived at the other end of this beer load and wondered if robots would unload me as well. I get to the gate at 7am Thursday and was given a dock door right off the bat. I was told not to break the seal or open the doors and someone would be out there at my appointment time (which was 7:30 am)to break my seal. Well about 8:00am is when I finally got my doors open. Then I waited. About 9am my truck still hasn't been touched. When the human forklift guys finally started it was 9:45 and they were in no hurry. I was tempted to tell them about the robots who might replace them some day and how they might have had me unloaded by now, but I was a good boy and waited patiently. I had my next assignment which had me deadheading south to Laredo, TX. Luckily it was an open appointment to pick up. I get empty at 10:30 and start heading south.

I have been to Laredo once before and it was picking up toys in a big warehouse. Pretty easy. This time I was picking up at a hub where Mexican trucks bring in freight and American trucks take it the rest of the way to wherever over here. I get a dock number. First thing I noticed that this place was cramped. Very tight. Tight enough that only one truck at a time can back into a dock. I was third in line and I was feeling grateful that I had my tiny Volvo and not my old Pete 387. That's because I watched a Pete 387 who was the first truck take literally 25 minutes to get backed into a dock. he had like five drivers all trying to help him. Finally the truck in front of me was far enough from me that I started my backing. With the help of a fellow driver I make it in barely. This place might have gotten to me a year ago but I handled it like a pro. Then I noticed the line of trucks that had clogged up the lot while the first guy was backing. What a mess. I finally get loaded four hours later and I make the difficult task of braving the TA to scale the load. It was packed because Pilot had no water pressure and Flying J had no power so every one was hitting the TA. I should have scaled the load further up the road. I know I am still learning.

Original plan was to get to as far as just south of Dallas and hit the bunk. some lane closures in Austin and me getting tired through that plan out the window. I find a hole in the wall and go to bed.

Friday night I roll into the yard and I am home until an early monday am pick up in Lebanon, Mo that goes to Shreveport, LA.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Next time you're in Laredo and need a scale, there's a Truckomat with CAT scales on Mines Road/1472not too far from Loop 20. Make a left (east) off of Killam out of the main industrial park and it's on the right.

From the description you were either further into town or in the industrial area next to the truck stops so that might not be your best option but it's good to know if you're ever in that particular area.

The DOT will also set up at the border check station to do random inspections sometimes so keep that in mind if you think there might be an issue with the weight.

Gabby

doomytunes said...

Thanks gabby! I will definitely keep that in mind. Anything to stay out of that cluster####.